Who Turned Off the Taps?

We went from being completely soaked for a couple weeks straight–wondering when it would ever dry out, to the cracked-clay of dry conditions in just a few days.  While most of the crops in my garden are well-mulched, things started needing a watering a couple days ago.

However, a perfect storm of events and company kept me from getting out there.  This is always the way it goes during single mom time. I start to wonder why exactly I chose to be both a university instructor and a farmer at the same time.  It’s easy to forget you’re a workaholic when your child isn’t right there to remind you.

So, during single mom time, I basically just have to harvest for deliveries and market, water as little as I can get away with, and keep a running tab in my mind of all the things I need to get on top of once I have a break: re-seed some cukes and summer squash that didn’t come up, weed out the purple carrots and leeks, remove the cover from the covered broccoli row, weed the beets (again), direct seed some basil to replace the plants that didn’t get in the ground before everything dried out.

There’s more–there’s much more.  But, I managed to get all of the papers in both of my classes critiqued on Thursday night and Friday before friends from out of town came and we gathered to say goodbye to a dear friend who is leaving for Swaziland in the Peace Corps for two years.  Then Fathers Day came with Harry’s family and activities to keep my own darling boy from getting too grumpy from adult-related overload.

Then I ended up getting grumpy with the overwhelming amount of work that greeted me when we finally got back out to the gardens this afternoon.  I’ll admit, after seeing all that, I made a start on tying up the sugar snap peas to their trellises, then had a minor freak-out that resulted in us coming back in and taking a nap before heading back out to at least do some watering and make mental notes of the work and delivery schedule.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the mosquitoes as bad as they were tonight, and I was wearing bug repellent.

So now that we’re a little better rested and our company has departed, it looks like we’ll be doing some projects in the gardens over the next couple days, but tempering the workload with some fun–my little love and I only have a few days left in our extra-long summer vacation visit before he heads back to dad’s place for a couple weeks, and I go back to being a full time workaholic.

But then, it’s about time to set up the river camp.


2 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by Caroline on June 16, 2008 at 9:44 am

    Hi there, my daughter and I are interested in bringing some farm fresh eggs to sell at the farmers market. Does anyone know who I can call to get some more information on doing this? Thanks so much!

  2. Posted by flyingtomato on June 16, 2008 at 12:30 pm


    Thanks for asking! I’ve just now sent you the information via e-mail. Hope to see you there.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: